Thursday, July 16, 2009

Petsitter

Dear MamaJo

I'm going out of town with my kids for 4 days later in the summer. I want to pay one of son’s friends, who is 14, to come feed the cats, take in the papers, etc. How much should I pay him and what all should I ask him to do? We NEVER travel so this is new to me.


I confess it. I am offically cheap. When we went out of town last weekend for a single night, my husband paid the twelve year old girl across the street $15 for taking care of our dog. I was outraged! But, as I have researched your question it turns out that $15 to $20 a night is pretty standard for a professional petsitter. That said, I still think it is too much to pay a kid. I found a couple of teens running pet sitting businesses and they seemed to be charging $7 to $12 per night, the price depending on the difficulty of the job. That sounds better to me. For a teen friend who lived down the street, I would be tempted to ask if there was anything he wanted from where we were going and leave it at that, but as I said before, I'm cheap.


No comments:

Post a Comment